5.20.2010

favorite recipe utensil crock.



I make cookies a lot. Like every day. And even though I pretty much have the recipe memorized, there are some times the kids want to make them or I forget to add the baking soda or something wild and crazy happens and all things good and lovely are lost and forgotten; so I've been wanting to display my recipe somehow where it's always visible. Kind of for nostalgia, too, because cookies are a big part of our kitchen. I thought about making a cute poster or embroidering it to hang on the wall, but I have no wall space to spare.

So there I was, craving Nestle Tollhouse one afternoon and staring at my blank utensil crock when it came to me: Put it on the crock. hmmm, good idea.

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

{the contact paper is for another tutorial below.
Don't worry about it right now.}

Cover the surface you're going to paint
with the Delta Surface Conditioner and let dry.

I wanted the recipe to be in my handwriting,
for nostalgia's sake,
so I decided not to use a stencil for this.

<span class=

I tried using a paintbrush
but the paint is pretty thick
and it didn't turn out so well.

Just keep lightly dipping the end of your pencil in your paint
and write quickly so you get your real handwriting look.
You can wipe it off and try again if you don't like it.

Now slowly fill in your writing with more paint
using your pencil or a toothpick.
Carefully "drag" the paint along your outline
to fill in your letters.
Don't get too much paint on your pencil;
less is more. Go slowly.

Don't worry about it being a little sloppy.
We'll fix that in a minute.

Now do the same thing for the rest of your recipe.

<span class=

As you've probably noticed, your writing doesn't look
as clean and streamlined as you'd like it to be.
This is because the PermEnamel paint is thick
and not easy to glide around. It's kinda gloppy.

So let your paint dry for 5 minutes or so
and clean it up with an x-acto knife.

Carefully scrape away any blobs or messes,
and thin out any thick and wonky letters that annoy you.

<span class=

this is a little better:

<span class=

remember, you're going for a
homemade handwritten recipe look,
so don't clean it up too much.

The paint dries fast but takes 10 days to fully cure,
so don't wash it for at least 2 weeks.
{PermEnamel paint is dishwasher, microwave, and oven safe.
However, I wouldn't put it on a surface that touches food
because it's not FDA approved. It is non-toxic, though.}

<span class=

After finishing this and seeing it on my counter, I thought this would be a great wedding or anniversary gift. Cover the crock with special recipes in your handwriting and pass it on to your daughter. Love it.
I'm going to put my pizza crust and bread recipe on it, too, I think.

Here are a few other ideas and kitchen stuff i love using ceramic paints:



ps. This is my basic cookie recipe; I mix it up a lot. Sometimes I use 1 cup wheat or oat flour, shortening instead of butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon, pecans. Whatever. I almost always add 3 Tbsp ground flaxseed though; it's good for you. Use a big cookie scoop and bake them at 350 for 10 minutes. Your life will be happy.

35 comments:

ShEiLa said...

YOU my dear Cally are so very clever and so very creative. Projects like this amaze me... but you know that.

ToOdLeS.

ps. love the candy dish below as well. Ü

Feather Hen said...

I love the crock. I just may have to replace mine. I think I would use my grandmothers pecan pie recipe. I LOVE the pass it on, keepsake part of this craft, and I think using an old recipe handed down, would make it even more special.

britt said...

super cool idea and it looks neat!

Lori said...

You've done it again. Wonderful idea, especially for making use of something besides wall space.

Edris said...

Fun idea. We make lots of chocolate chip cookies as well but this is the hubby's job:)

hilltopmom said...

Great idea, thanks for the tute.

DJ Rose said...

That is amazing. I have an oh-so-secret cookie recipe that needs to be out in the open. Thanks for sharing.

affectioknit said...

That's adorable! I love it!

Becky McNeill said...

Christmas gifts...check!
Thanks so much...LOVE IT!

Kari said...

This is simple and genius. What a great gift idea! Thanks for sharing.

Beeswax said...

Cookies every day! I knew I liked you!

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

This is such an awesome idea. My cousin is getting married in August and doing an apple themed kitchen.(more power to her) i could do this and put an apple streudle recipe on it or something apple-y.

Katie Lewis said...

I love this! And the moment I saw it I thought it would be great for a wedding present too. Awesome idea.

Su said...

This is a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing

Casey said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea! I can't wait to do this

Melissa said...

This is so homey I love it. I have like three of those go to recipes that could stand to be painted around the kitchen. Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

here from noodlehead. this is a priceless gift for the kitchen and the kiddos. luv.

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

BRILLIANT!

Delia said...

Um...you are a really cool blogger. I am following you now. THanks for this great idea!

wendy said...

You are very crafty!!!!
talented
and did I mention beautiful

Unknown said...

I am all about decorating for usefulness.

It's cute but more importantly, it's so handy.

My problem is that I would have to have at least 6 crocks with 4 recipes each. :)

If I ever get all that dreamy kitchen counter space, I will be bringing my recipes, paints, and crocks to your house.

Sharstin said...

love it! what a great idea~ and of course I love a homemade choc chip cookie!! mmmm...

Tipnut said...

Love this idea! This was submitted to Tipnut by one of your fans and I'll be featuring it shortly...other neat ideas would be to paint a recipe on a plain cookie jar or display plates too.

mandi said...

OH! I love this! Anything with nostalgic purposes, I am all about that!

Great idea, my friend!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I love this idea SO much! Now to decide on a recipe or two... Thanks so much, I'll be linking to this.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful idea. We are putting together a hope chest for oldest daughter now and this is perfect. However, I was wondering if it wouldn't work with a permanent marker instead of the paint? Would be interested in hearing your feedback.
Mary

Donna said...

Very clever, I'm totally linking this.

Anonymous said...

it is very cute, I wonder if a sharpie would work instead of teh paint? Has anyone tried that on ceramic? It would probably need to me sprayed with a glaze to hold it to the ceramic. hmm, sharpies come in all colours.

Anonymous said...

I love how your utensil jar turned out! That's such a fun idea to put your favorite recipe on your jar where you will see it day and and day out.

♥ maaria said...

Yes! What a great idea & such an eye candy!

Anonymous said...

i love this! what a wonderful gift this would be, for so many occasions! i've included this in my weekly inspiration roundup, blogged here:
http://www.camilledawn.com/2010/07/tuesday-tumblr-5.html

Rhiannon Bosse said...

This is so clever and amazing! What a fabulous gift :)

Stacy said...

That looks so awesome. What a great idea! I've been wanting a new crock for my utensils.

They sell pens for writing on porcelain in lots of colors! http://www.dickblick.com/products/pebeo-porcelaine-150-paint-markers/

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said...

Love it! I shared it on my FB page...♥

Natalia said...

This is a great idea! As I am not nearly as neat/crafty/patient I would probably use a ceramic sharpy (they sell those everywhere). I did that same thing for our wedding - we used a large plate for our guests to sign instead of a guest book. Looks great!